2015-07-29

Coming back from a very long hibernation

It has been a long while since I took to blogging...

Dissatisfaction, a lack of a good sense of direction after a number of dramatic real-life and Internet situations with various pitfalls interspersed between them, as well as a general impression of disconnection with the medium: all drew me away from the exercise in a slow, drudging path with a predetermined conclusion. I'd open up Blogger after having come up with something I would have erstwhile considered noteworthy or just plain fun, ready to type out my thoughts; but then I'd suddenly feel uncertain or unenthusiastic, invariably telling myself that I will save this draft or drop the topic altogether, deciding it wasn't as interesting as I originally thought it was.

My wife has been telling me for a while now that I should pick up my writing again. And while I did consider her kind suggestions in earnest, it still didn't feel like it used to do. Frankly, it still does not. However, now that I put my fingers back to the keyboard with the intent to write again, something an old friend had told me a decade ago struck me quite aptly: that we don't just live on and on; instead, as the years pass, some parts of us die; that we, as people, don't live just one life, but die and live again. This exegesis is founded on a personal theory of trauma and incidence, but I must admit with both amazement and amusement that it is quite accurate, after all. I have to thank my friend for that insight in a more personal manner when next I can.

What I mean by all of the above is primarily that I have decided to put on again the writer's mask, if you will. It is an interesting experience, mostly because 5 years have passed (who would have known to tell me so back then!) and, frankly, while my writing tends to be as long-winded as ever, and there is this familiar sensation with writing, my thoughts on far too many topics have been worn with time and exposure to others and can no longer be deemed identical to what they used to be. I'm also in a very different position and thus can only have assumed a very different stance on life, even if I have not yet registered the fact myself.

Regardless: Hello, world!

No comments:

Post a Comment